Posted by: Avi | 2009-01-17

Post natal depression?

I am 28 and have suffered from trichotillomania (hair pulling) and depression since childhood. Most of the time I have the trich under control, though I' ve never managed to stop completely for more than a few weeks. It has always escalated in times of stress. I have a 7 month old baby.

I have found that over the last few months my trich has been getting worse and worse. I' m struggling to control urges to pull in public and it is beginning to become noticable to others (something I' ve avoided for the last few years). I' ve also found myself to be feeling far more depressed than usual (I' ve always suffered from depression on one level or another, but haven' t taken medication for years).

I was put on several different anti-deps while I was a student, as a way of coping with a rape. They seemed to help with both the depression and the trich, but I just didn' t feel myself on them. I stopped taking them after about a year.

I am really struggling to cope with my baby and life. My husband is about to start traveling for work again, and will be away for extended periods of time. I' m very worried about my ability to cope with this all on my own, as he' s my greatest support. If I feel like I' m hanging on by a thread now, how am I going to be when I' m alone with my baby? I don' t want to endanger him in any way.

Could this be post natal depression this long after birth? If so, what sort of treatment should I seek? I am still breastfeeding, so want to avoid medication if possible.

Any advice would be appreciated.

It could be PND, and you might benefit from using anidepressants --- but it'd need a proper assessment from a psychiatrist and a discussion of this, before the best decision could be made. I'd also recommend looking carefully for the availability of Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, which can help Depression most ecellently ( and no concerns about breast-feeding !) , and should also be able to help you control the trich, and the links between them.