Question
Posted by: Holly | 2008/08/18

Post Natal Depression

Hi CS, I have a little boy of 7 weeks old - I recently went to my GP as I felt that I was not coping. He had a difficult birth, but is fine now.

Problem was that I could not stop crying. She gave me some meds (Eglanol) and I feel better.

Problem is that I cannot help thinking that life is so unfair and we will all end up dead eventually. I look at old people and I get depressed! This feeling started whislt still pregnant. I have never felt like this and I have always been a very happy and content person! I am still functioning, I think that the meds are probably kicking in - I am feeling like this less often, will this feeling eventually go away completely? I have been taking the pills for 2 weeks now.

I do with that they would stop selling Eglonyl in South Africa, where GPS seem convinced that it is an antidepressant. It is NOT. You sound as though you may have a serious depression, which, for your sake and that of your husband and child, deserves the best available treatment --- so arrange to be referred to a good local psychiatrist for assessment and treatment advice, which should include a proper antidepressant such as an SSRI, and CBT style counselling which is also highly effective for depression. Actual antidepressants tend to show their full effects within around 2 weeks, but you haven't started a genuien antidepressant yet. Life can and will be fulfilling and rewarding for you --- with the proper treatment

1
Posted by: Been there | 2008/08/18

I know what youre going through, I felt the same way when I had my son. With me, I found that I was flooded with emotions, anything from whether I' d be a good mom, or what the future holds for my little boy,wth all the strange things going on in todays world, or what will happen to my child if I died ina car accident, I used to be terrified of driving with him when he was a baby, because I thought someone might drive into us, it consumed me, and I started feeling depressed. At least you took the first step and got some help, but talk to other mothers,that also helps alot, youll find that being around people who know what youve been through will help a lot. Good luck and stay strong for yourself and your little one

Reply to Been there