Posted by: CJ | 2011-02-08

Post nasil drip

For about 2 years now I have developed this constant post nasal drip which is affecting my ears. Sometimes the fluid build up in my ears can be so bad that I can hear it at night when I lay down to sleep. Other times I will get this clicking/pulsating feeling in my right ear that is really sore and sensitive. Am I damaging my hearing by not seeing an ENT specialist? Is there medication to clear this up completely?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear CJ

You may well be causing damage to the middle ear by not having this looked at. This in turn could affect your hearing. Your ENT can at least examine the ear, and make a diagnosis. In most cases, this is a treatable condition, and will mostly revolve around sorting out the nose, as it is likely the cause of your problems. If conservative management fails, your doctor may even suggest the placement of grommets to relieve the problem. This wil only succeed if the nasal symptoms are controlled.
Your examination will most likely include an examination of the nasal passages.