Posted by: Theodore | 2011-09-19

Post Nasal Drip

For the past few months, I have been having mucous on my throat and have to constantly cough it out. It is mostly thick in the morning and gradually becomes loose.

I have consulted a GP who prescribed anti-biotic and allergex but that did not help. Can you please advise the best medication to stop this as it’ s intolerable and embarrassing to be always coughing and spitting even when there are people around you.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Theodore

It is impossible to advise on medication without having an examination. It does sound if your sinusses are contributing to the problem, but the cause needs to be established and treated. In case of chronic infection this may require longterm use of antibiotics (a specific group of anti-biotic is used for this). If the cause is allergy based, you need treatment for this, which requires an anti-histamine combined with an intra-nasal steroid spray.

Posted by: Eric Townend | 2011-12-02

I am oxygen dependent. I find that the mucus from my sinus is blown into the back of my throat. I have tried a full face mask but no change.

Reply to Eric Townend