Posted by: Kay | 2010-08-17

Post Nasal Drip

I am a 31 year old female of asian decent. I am always suffering from a post nasal drip or throat infection. I do have allergies to hayfever, dogdander. I get sick every three weeks and most of the time have anbiotics to cure it.
I have tried the no sugar, wheat, milk etc. diet and find that zyrtec, deselex, singulair, nasonex do not help anymore. My post nasal drip causes me to have a horribly loud cough. I am enemic and am negetive for TB.
What can I do to stop this constant drip that eventually becomes the flu. I am constantly have a sore throat.
Please help

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Kay

You are an allergy sufferer, and this is an indication of how your body responds to certain allergens in your environment. (dogs, etc). Hayfever is not an allergy, it is a description of the symptoms you suffer from when coming into contact with your specific allergens. (sneezing, blocked nose, red eyes, etc.) Your doctor can request tests to establish the nature of your allergens, including the possibility of a food allergen. Treatment requires management of your symptoms, usually in the form of nasal steroids and sometimes an anti-histamine. This becomes a permanent requirement. Your allergies put you at risk of developing sinusitis more often, and it sounds as if this is the case with you. I suggest you consult an ENT surgeon for a full examination of the nasal cavity and throat. This may include a CT scan to assess the sinonasal passages.
The fact is that we all suffer with post nasal drip, as it may be perfectly normal, but it seems as if you require further examination to find and treat the cause. You may be suffering from chronic sinusitits, and this needs a different approach.

Posted by: Marlene | 2010-09-07

Do you have any advice on how to treat a constant nasal drip. This is all year round and resulting in an irritating cough or clearing of the throat.

Reply to Marlene
Posted by: Kay | 2010-08-17

I would like to add that i still have my tonsils and have done coritsone treatment. This has been occuring for over two years now and I keep maxing out my medical aid

Reply to Kay