Posted by: Lynne | 2010-01-25

post nasal drip

I have a constant post nasal drip sometimes worse than other times. When its bad I have what feels like a ball of thick mucus sitting somewhere and it makes me feel like I am choking and can' t swallow properly. Is there anything I can take to " dissolve"  this mucus and stop the post nasal drip completely?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Lynn

You need an ENT examination to establish a possible cause, most likely in the nasal area. Treatment shoud be aimed at clearing the nasal discharge, as well as excluding possible infections. Allergies may contribute, and should be excluded. Post nasal drip can not be completely stopped, but can be managed. Your ENT will advise you on possible treatment options.