Question
Posted by: Sunday | 2010-01-31

post-meal slump

Hi there Dietdoc

I' m not too sure who to post this question to (cyberdoc or yourself). Could you please help me understand why i feel like total death after eating a very healthy small meal.

example: my meal = cucumber, tomatoes, few steamed cauliflower florets, then had a small orange and about a cup of plain fatfree yoghurt.

After about 30minutes i CANNOT keep my eyes open...i feel so so " pap"  that i need to lie down.i dont understand. im not eating high GI refined foods.

Dear Sunday
Because more blood is routed to the digestive system after eating to assist with the absorption of nutrients, some people do tend to feel faint after eating meals. However, the meal you describe is so low in energy (despite the fact that the yoghurt is low-GI), that it probably does not increase your blood sugar levels sufficiently to sustain normal activity. Let's say this is your lunch which you are eating 5 hours after your last meal (breakfast), as such it should provide at least 2100 kJ (if you are trying to lose weight and 2800 kJ if you are not trying to lose weight), to maintain your blood sugar levels so that you can continue with your daily activities (including brain activity). Your meal contains approx. 650 kJ which is far too few kJ to keep you going. Please try increasing your energy intake with low-GI foods (low-GI bread, tuna, lean meat, boiled eggs, baked beans or other legumes, apples, pears, etc) at each meal for 2-3 weeks. If you still experience these feelings of exhaustion after eating, then please consult your gp and ask him/her to arrange a glucose tolerance test to determine if you suffer from hypoglycaemic or insulin problems.
Take care

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-01-31

Dear Sunday
Take care