Posted by: josie | 2009-01-17

Dear DietDoc,
I' m 59, 1.55m tall and weigh 56.6kg. I am a non-smoker, and gym fit. I had a mastectomy 10days ago, but have had several complications, including persistant large seromas. About 100-150ml of protein-rich serous fluid is drawn off daily to relieve the distension and pressure. My wounds have healed well, but the serous exudate is likely to continue for many weeks.

I know that egg white and lean meats are good sources of first-class protein. Could you reccommend other sources of protein, and give me a rough idea of how much I should be consuming daily to replace my losses and maintain a positive nitrogen balance for the rest of the healing process?

Thank you.

Dear Josie
I am very sorry to hear that you have had a mastectomy. The best sources of high quality protein that contains all the so-called essential amino acids, are: milk, yoghurt and cheeses, all lean meats and poultry, fish and egg white. The standard RDA for protein is 60 g per day, so if you increase your intake to 120 g per day this should make provision for the losses via the exudate. Eat a portion of protein-rich foods at each meal. If you find that you require additional protein then there are many protein supplements available on the market. Chat to your chemist and explain that you are primarily trying to replace protein, not gain weight. The chemist will provide you with the necessary supplement which you can take in between meals.
Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

Posted by: Josie | 2009-01-18

Thank you DietDoc, I shall do exactly as you reccommend.
Kind regards.

Reply to Josie