Posted by: Gigi | 2009-01-13

Post Hysterectomy - can' t lose weight

Help - Its been 5yrs since Ive had my hysterectomy and Ive had an ongoing battle with my weight. Specifically around my waist its a constant battle for the past 5 years. I am physically active do lots of exercise and try my best to watch what I eat. I am sure there lots of other women who have the same problem as I do.

Dear Gigi
Your are right that many women struggle with weight gain after having a hysterectomy, esp if they have their ovaries removed. This also occurs with the menopause. Ironically some women gain weight while other lose it even if they use hormone replacement therapy. In addition all adults tend to gain about 1kg per year over the age of 40, so it is important to counteract these factors by reducing your fat and energy intake moderately and exercising strictly every day. In some women depression may also play a role and if this should apply in your case then it is good to consult a clinical psychologist for an assessment.
Keep up the good work with the exercise as this not only promotes weightloss, but also lifts the mood.