Question
Posted by: Patricia | 2010/03/02

POST GALL BLADDER OP

MY GALL BLADDER WAS REMOVED 26 NOV 2009.
I HAVE ALWAYS HAD A REGULAR BOWEL MOVEMENT.
SINCE THE OP I HAVE ONE ABOUT EVERY SEVEN DAYS.
I''VE BEEN EATING DIGESTIVE BRAN ON MY CEREAL,
AND HAVE BEEN HAVING BRAN FLAKES (16g per 100g FIBRE)
EVERYONE HAS BEEN TELLING ME THAT GALL BLADDER
SURGERY CAN HAVE THIS EFFECT. I MUST ALSO ADD THAT
I AM EATING LESS &  HAVE LOST 16.3KG SINCE THE OP BUT
AM STILL CONCERNED ALTHOUGH I DON''T FEEL ILL OR BLOATED etc.
THANKS

Hallo Patricia
Your gall bladder is a storage area for gall that is used to digest high fat content meals. If your gall bladder is removed, you still secrete gall which is then deposited straight into the bowel for digestion, but one probably can't handle very high fat content meals. This should not affect your bowel action. The fact that you lost such a lot of weight would worry me if it is not due to deliberate dieting. If you eat less, you may have less food going through your system and you may have less bowel movements. If your stool is soft and normal colour and smell, and you don't feel bloated or have exessive gas, once a week may be normal for you for the amount of food you eat at the moment. Your doctor can do an abdominal x/ray to see if you have retained stool in the colon if needed. Ensure that you also drink enough water - at least 8 glasses a day.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/03/02

Hallo Patricia

Reply to cyberdoc