Question
Posted by: Beth | 2009-05-06

post ectopic qu

I suffered an ectopic pregnancy end of January this year and lost my right fallopian tube but still have my right ovary intact and left side is in order. I' ve heard that the egg sometimes travels to the left side when there is no right tube? How true is this? Will I only be able to fall pregnant every second month?

Also, since my op I' ve had 2 normal 28 days cycles lasting 3/4 days. Last month I never got a period (21 April). A week later I spotted for 4 days. Would this have been a period or not? I did a 2 pregnancy tests at home one on the 25 April and the other on 30 April and both were negative. I' m worried about another ectopic happening.

Thank you in advance!

Dear Beth

There is some literature suggesting that it is possible for an egg to travel from the one side and enter the fallopian tube on the other side. However this is not normally the case. It is more likely that you will achieve a pregnancy from the ovary on the side that the fallopian tube is normal. If you have done a home pregnancy test but still suspect that you may be pregnant then I would suggest that you do a blood pregnancy test as this is much more accurate. It is particularly important in your case to diagnosis a pregnancy early so that an early ultrasound can be done to exclude a possible second ectopic pregnancy.

Answered by: Dr. Y.M. Dasoo