Posted by: Lindsyatom | 2012-11-02

Post D &  C and when to start clomid

I recently posted on this site regarding an early scan scare.
I went back a week later which would have dated me as 7wks 5 days and unfortunately the gestational sac was in the process of collapsing.

My Doctor advised that I should schedule a D &  C for the following day instead of waiting on Mother Nature. I was prescribed 2 tablets to take the morning of the procedure which would assist with dilation. I did this and bled quite a bit after.

I had the procedure done and Doc was happy. There was no follow up visit booked and I discharged. I had crazy bleeding accompanied with cramping in lower pelvic area and what felt like my joints in between my leg and hip. 2 days later there was no more bleeding or spotting. This last for 2 days then I was hit with what felt like period pains and has continued now (day 3).

Could this be the start of a new cycle or is this a continuation of the post op bleeding?

Doctor has instructed me to continue with cycle 2 of my clomid immediately when period returns which she said should be within 2 - 4wks. I am confused now and unfortunately she is unavailable till next week.

I was also prescribed progesterone supps. in with the pregnancy I had lost (at 6wks I started taking them). Doctor did not give me a reason for this. I then wanted to know, if I wait till my next cycle should I start taking the progesterone supps. earlier than waiting for my first check up (if pregnant) and confirming that or should I start taking after I ovulate? Doc said it was either CD 14 / 15 but I got negatives on both those dates. So I could not pin point exactly (she did scan at CD12 and I produced 5 eggs and she measured and gestimated it would be on one of those dates).

Dear Lindsyatom
It is usually customary to wait at least 4 weeks after a D&C before commencing any ovulation induction, with clomid or injectable. The bleed that you experiencing and the cramping is normal as part of the post-operative recovery phase and occasionally there may be some spotting as well. However it is still recommended that you wait for another complete normal period before commencing the clomid. The progesterone supplementation should not be used prior to ovulation and should best be commenced 5 days post ovulation. Should the pregnancy test be negative then the progesterone must be discontinued, On the contrary if the test is positive the progesterone should be continued for about 8 weeks.
Answered by Dr M.I.Cassim