Posted by: Coba | 2010-10-28

Post back fusion

Dr my mom had a back fusion (L5-S1?), 2 yr ago.She is 64 yr and in general good health. She had some nerve damage that couldn''t be restore. Now she has no feeling or movement of her big toe...Mostly in the right foot. What worries us is the terrible leg spasms(cramps?) she gets! I''ve never seen muscles pull like this,it looks like her calve disappears! She also has constant pain behind her knee and in her big toe. She is not using any meds and try and be as active as possible. Is this pain normal, will it get better?

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

It appears that she has continuing nerve compression from her back. Your surgeon will be the only one who will know if the nerve damage was so severe that it will not recover. Does she not need another opinion to see if the nerve compression cannot perhaps be relieved?