Question
Posted by: Anri | 2011/11/22

post 765 - continue

Dear Cyber shrink

Thanks for your feedback on my previous post.Just to give you feedback. The diagnosis was made by a Psigiatrist. I read up on Bipolar 2 and according to most of the issues i do agree that i could be bipolar 2. I decided to vistit the doctor because of my moods and rage and intense irritability. But still i struggle to accept the diagnosis. I dont want to be tagged. It feels like the doctor put a board around my neck with the words Bipolar on it.

I really feel very negative about this Epitec medicine and i feel i want to try to control this without any medication. Isnt there something natural to use to calm my moods? Something like Biral maybe?
I rather use something milder than using something like Epitec with all this horrible side effects.

Tagging isn't an inevitable sequel to a proper diagnosis being made - its a negative thing some people do with other people's diagnoses, just as they use other prejudices if they're that way inclined.
Have you tried to understand your unusual feelings here. This is a medicine, proposed by an experienced psychiatrist which might help to relieve the symptoms that have been troubling you - that's not a bad thing, is it ?
Only your shrink knows about the diagnosis he made or the medicine you're on, so why would anyone else think negatively about you, over this ?
If you actually wore a board roung your neck saying BIPOLAR or EPITEC, people would probably wonder why you did that, but the great majority wouldn't even understand what the words meant.
DO you perhaps have issues of low self-esteem that you are so anticipating negative reactions ?
Surely you tried to control the symptoms without meds before, and it didn't work ? Why would it work now ? What harm is there in making a proper trial of a recommended med, at the recommended doses, etc, and see if it helps ?
There is nothing remotely "natural" or effective about Biral - its also a chemical, marketed for profit, and with enormously less good scientific evidence that it's helpful. If it were to be offered nowadays to the drug control authorities, I doubt they'd even allow it to be registered and sold.
I do get irritated by the assumption ( invented by PR and marketeers ) that there's something magical about "natural" - most poisons are "natural" but that doesn't make them any the less harmful. A couple of spponfuls of garden earth would be very "natural", but hardly helpful.
And if I remember your earlier messages, you haven't actually had any side-effects at all from Epitec and haven't yet taken it - the horrible side-effects are something you have read about and assumed will be awful and will all happen to you. They're possible, not compulsory.

1