Question
Posted by: Sanet | 2012/07/15

Post 590: Side-effects

Me again. I want to explain why I''m on these drugs. I was on Seroquel, Lamictin, Topamax and Serlife in 2006. I became unstable and was tried on Risperdal instead of Seroquel, but ended up worse. I went onto several other antidepressants as well. Only Serlife appeared effective until I got the twitching of my face and neck after being on it for 4 years. I stopped the Serlife myself and when I became depressed last year was put on Valdoxane which didn''t cause the twitching. I was started on Concerta for ADHD. The ADHD caused havoc in my worklife that required a lot of attention to detail. I went through all the Neuropsycholy testing, EEG,s, MRI''s everything. All the testing proved that I can''t concentrate long enough to memorise important facts. Concerta changed my life. From classified the dumbest person in the industry by my Boss, I am now a top performer. So, I can''t go without my Concerta. After not sleeping for 6 weeks, trying the Zyprexa and Ativan injections with my other treatments the Psychiatrist (not my current one) tried me on Geodon. I had terrible side effects, but not these that I''m describing. The tremors and somnolence was the worst, but changing the doses to the highest dose in the evening sorted it out. Together with Thaden and Geodon I slept for the first time in 6 weeks. It was so amazing to wake up and know that you have slept through the night. I stayed on the Geodon from Nov 2007 until now. I know its not a drug that is used widely, but it has kept me stable for 4 years, and when Discovery cut my benefits and I couldn''t afford it I went into a mixed episode again. So, none of the other anntipsychotics (not even Camcolit) worked for me. Geodon was and is my last option. I think epitec is widely used for BP. We stopped the Topamax because my Psychiatrist convinced me there was no evidence of success in Bipolar. And stopping it made no difference to me. This was my first moodstabiliser I was put on more than 10 years ago.. I''m basically out of treatment options, until something new comes on the market.
I don''t want to stop the Concerta. I think its the combination of Concerta, Seroquel and Geodon. So, will antiparkonsins drugs work for this? Not that I can afford more medication.
I''m totally at a loss about what to do next, but I''m seeing my dr this week. I think he just told me the newer antipsychotics can''t cause this, because he''s worried about changing me from Geodon onto something else. I''ve just been discharged from hospital.But, I need to get rid of this side-effect. And I can t go without my Geodon and Concerta. I''m just curious - why did this side effect suddenly appear when I was started on the Seroquel 200SR? And even if I don''t take the Seroquel, I still have it. Can you just develop these extrapyrimadal effects after being on the medication for 4 years or longer? Or is it the addition of the Seroquel? I wish I could figure it out. Two more days before I can get it sorted.

Maria's point illustrates some of the wondrous complexities of using meds, especially in combinations ! Your ability to concentrate has obviously improved, to even manage to remember the complexities of your various treatments and responses !
I do wish Medical Aids, including Discovery, would learn that while expensive drugs are indeed too often misused by docs and with insufficient reason, when someone has been through complex trials of numerous meds and combinations, when a combo is found which works, itm is inevitably more expensive and thoroughly substandard care for them to insist on price reasons alone, to refuse to cover the cost of one of those ingredients. And I'm unimpressed with some of the arrogant medical advisors they seem to use.
I wouldn't dare make definite suggestions on an y aspect of your hard-won combination, as ONLY the doctor currently dully in possession of all the facts and familiar with all the nooks and crannies of your story, and managing the current drugs, could so so usefully.
I'm pleased to hear you'll be seing him in 2 days, when you can ask him about what he thinks of adding Akneton or another anti-parkinsonian to the mix. This needs to be done cautiously, as antioparkinsonians can cause their own side-effects.
And some years ago I wrote an article in a Cech journal about some of these matters, including the observation that antiparkinsonian drugs ( and drugs used for other purposes which may have similar effets ) may not last as long, after a given dose, as the capacity of another drug to produce parkinsonian effects, so someone given such meds may show the emergence of parkinsonian effects at a later time, when it may puzzle people as to why it showed itself then

5
Posted by: Sanet | 2012/07/18

I could also not function on high doses of Seroquel. I slept until 9am and got to work at 10am. And then had to work late. I find that Dopaquel, the generic is lighter and I only need 50mg to sleep. If I take half of the 100mg Seroquel I''m also a zombie, like today. I haven''t done any work yet. And I''ve got a terrible headache, like I''m hung over.

Reply to Sanet
Posted by: Maria | 2012/07/17

Pleasure. Seroquel made me sleep but I was a zombie all the time, cognitive functioning was terrible.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Sanet | 2012/07/17

Dear Maria, thanks for the advice. It is possible that stopping the Topamax caused the side effects, or maybe the rivotril. I''ll discuss with my Dr, because I don''t want to go back on Rivotril. It is habit forming.
In relation to Valdoxane, I don''t find that it improves sleep. Although they say it should be a substitute for sleeping tablets. In 2007, when I couldn''t sleep at all I was also on Thaden, and together with Geodon (highest dose pm) I slept for the first time in nearly 6 weeks. I am doing well on Valdoxane however.
What my Dr did do is put me on low dose Seroquel for sleep (50mg). That seems to do the trick. I used to need Dormonoct 2 tablets at night. A previous psychiatrist put me on Seroquel 200SR for sleep and I slept well on it. But, my current Psychiatrist says it creates too many problems. You gain weight on Seroquel and it increases your risks of Cardiovascular disease as well as Diabetes. But, if you monitor yourself well I can t see why you can''t use Seroquel for sleep.
The long acting dose needs to be taken 3 hours before bedtime. I was only taken off it, because I''m already on Geodon and I need to get up at 3am to travel. The effects lasts until at least 6am. Maybe Seroquel will be your answer.
Good luck and thanks for the advice.

Reply to Sanet

Posted by: Maria | 2012/07/15

Sanet, what I''ve found is that a drug will sometimes suppress the side effects of another drug without you being aware of it. So what I thought was a side effect from a new drug I started was actually there all the time, but suppressed by a drug that I stopped.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted out, I feel for you. Sleep is my biggest problem, I''ve tried various things with no success, currently on Thaden which works so-so. How did Valdoxane work for you? The first time I tried it was in conjunction with Remeron (Mirtazapine), Epitec and Xanor. It knocked me out and left me so nauseous and dizzy the next morning that I could not get out of bed until 9:00 and didn''t really wake up until 11:00. I didn''t drink it again. Now I''ve tried it together with Venlor and Epitec, and it really didn''t do anything for my sleep, I still kept waking up multiple times in the night.

Reply to Maria