Question
Posted by: KC | 2009-01-12

Post 492: Correction to height and milk

Hi Dr
Sorry I made a typing error, my son is close to 80cm tall - not 90cm.
With regards to his liquid intake. He is drinking about 400 to 600mls of milk and pediasure together. I give him two to three milk bottles a day and then one pediasure. Each bottle contains 175mls of milk or pediasure but he never finishes them and will sometimes only drink just under half. As for water it varies from 100 to 200mls a day.
Thank you for your advise below, I really appreciate it. I am hoping it is just a very long phase he is going through and with patience he will start eating.

Dear KC
Thank you for this additional information. If your son is only 80 cm tall then both his height and weight seem to be low which could indicate stunting - a situation that needs to be address ASAP. I hope that you will be able to pinpoint what is making him refuse food. If he drinks 3 bottles of milk and/or Pediasure of 175 ml and drinks every drop (which you say he does not do any way), then he would only be ingesting 525 ml of milk/Pediasure a day which is the recommended amount for a child of his age. He is, therefore, not getting too much milk/Pediasure and he should also be eating infant cereals, pureed vegetables and fruit, purred cooked meat, finger foods, etc to ensure an adequate intake of nutrients. If necessary get a second opinion from another Paediatrician, but do try consulting a Paediatric Psychiatrist or Psychologist and a Dietitian.