Posted by: Debra | 2012-02-20

Post 48: PCOS

Thank you for the reply on my question (post no. 48 about PCOS).

I spoke to my gynae. She believes that the Inofolic is much better than the Metformin and advised me to continue with the Inofolic if I do find out that I am pregnant.

Do you agree with her or should I rather switch from Inofolic to Metformin as soon as I discover that I am pregnant? If you would then what dose should the Metformin be? I currently take 1 sachet of Inofolic per day.

I did an early detection home pregnancy test this morning and I got a very faint positive. I am planning on going for a quantitative blood test tomorrow morning.

I have had stomach pain since last Wednesday. Almost as if my periods were about to start. Is this a bad sign?

I plan on going to my GP on Friday. Should I ask for my progesterone to be tested?

Dear Debra
In my opinion patients with hyperinsulinemia one could use either Metformin or Inofolic and one is not more superior to the other. However I would recommend that once you do conceive you should continue with Metformin as there are no studies being done with the use of Inofolic in pregnancy and its safety profile. The normal recommended dose for Metformin is 500mg twice a day. There are several studies that have shown that the continuation of Metformin in patients with hyperinsulinemia decreases the risk of miscarriages in the early stages of pregnancy. Progesterone is not normally tested unless you have a history of early pregnancy losses.
Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo