Question
Posted by: Anette | 2010/06/07

Post 1072: Low Estrogen Levels

MY GP tested my estrogen, progesterone, FSH, DHEA etc. She was concerned about the pigmentation I had on my cheeks and I am having frequent vaginal infections which she said can be due to a hormone imbalance. I have read up on low estrogen levels and I do also experience low back pain, urinary problems and my IBS is totally out of control. My FSH tested normal. It was only the estrogen and progesterone that was low. I have a Mirena device, so she said the progesterone should not be that low. What can be the cause of this? And how can it be treated?

If the FSH is normal, you are not menopausal. The low progesterone probably means that you are not ovulating and the low oestrogen may depend on the time of the cycle when the blood was taken. If it was significant it would have pushed the FSH up. It would not explain your back pain or IBS.

1