Question
Posted by: Anon | 2009-09-05

Possible TB?

I am a particularly healthy and active individual, who never even gets a cold. Last year my housekeeper was very ill with TB and we got her meds from the clinic and she is back to good health. I have for the last 4 months at least been sick continuously with colds, flu, bronchitis and then flu again. Nothing has worked up to now - viral immune builders, anti-biotics, popular effervescent tablets, cough mixture etc. I have returned and returned to the GP and pharmacist advising them that I have a post nasal drip, which is causing me to cough. I regularly have to spit thick green-yellow-brown mucus which is utterly disgusting. They now have me on anti-histamine tablets in conjunction with an anti-viral throat spray. I have been using it religiously for the last 5 days and honestly it has not improved even a slight bit. Every trip to the doctor cost at around R 300 and every batch of medicine between R 150 and R 450. I have informed the doctor and pharmacist of my fear of TB, but they are both adamant that this is not the case.I am tired of being sick and it is costing a fortune and nothing works, so I can only assume that I am getting the wrong diagnosis. Please can you assist with an alternative theory / suggestion. Thank you!

I suggest that you consult an internal specialist for a second opinion. There can be a multitude of reasons for you being constantly sick. Some systemic condition or infection is the cause for your lowered immunity, even Tuberculosis.