Question
Posted by: Mom | 2009-01-07

Possible scoliosis

I suspect that my 12 year old daughter is developing scoliosis. She is growing very fast and lately her back seems lightly crooked. Are there any excercises that can help her? She is a very sressed child, so i dont want to pull her attetion to it by goiing to a doctor if they will only tell us to wait and see, which is what the advice on mild scoliosis seem to be. I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis as a child, and had to do some excecises, but I dont think it really helped. Can mild scoliosis improve without treatment?Thanks

Dear Mom
Scoliosis should be treated as soon as possible as it is easier to correct a small deformity than a large one. Please ask your GP to refer you to an orthopod for evaluation, and to see whether she needs physiotherapy or biokinetic exercises. Just explain to her that it is preventative.