Posted by: Kuki | 2010-08-31

Possible pregnant even though test is negative?

Tender, swollen breasts, pelvic pain. Colour of nipples changing from brownish to pink. Did menstruate 7-8 Aug. Had blood pregnancy test on 30 Aug = negative. Why these symptoms then? I''m 37 years old. Want to be pregnant. Did I have the blood test too early?

Your next period should be due soon. If it comes at the right time, pregnancy is unlikely. Pelvic pain is not a sign of pregnancy and you should see a doctor if this persists. Tender breasts are often normal at some stages of the cycle.

Posted by: Purple | 2010-09-01

I think that the home pregnancy tests are more sensitive than the blood tests, as I had a positive home test on the day of my missed period, but the blood test done that day was negative. A week later I did another home test and it was still positive, went back to doctor, did another blood test and it was positive. I now have a 6 year old, so was definitely pregnant. Because I had previously had an ectopic pregnancy I was supposed to repeat a quantitative beta test every 48 hours to check whether the hormone levels were going up as they should or going up and down and all over the place.

A home test is only likely to be reliable on the 4 th or 5th of September onwards so perhaps wait till then. A blood test might show positive then, but might not.

These kinds of changes can also be from other hormonal reasons other than pregnancy.

Even a very faint line on a home test is a positive.
They don''t give false positives, but can give a false negative if done too early. IF you do it very close to the date of your missed period, then use your first morning urine, or urine you have held in for a long time as you will be more likely to get a positive result if you are pregnant. From about a week after your period is due, it makes no difference what time of day you do the test.

Reply to Purple