Question
Posted by: Alicia | 2012/08/22

Possible miscarriage?

Hi, on 16 Aug I found out I am pregnant. Went for a bloodtest the same day to confirm the pregnancy and it said I should be round about 2-3 weeks pregnant because of the low hcg levels. Personally, I find it impossible since the first day of my last menstrual period was round about 11/12 June which was just spotting for about 6 days. On 21 Aug, I went for an ultrasound and the radiologist couldn''t see anything. He said that I might have miscarried or it''s still too early. I havent had any bleeding yet, only cramping, which are sometimes a bit heavy. I did take " alchophyllex"  cough syrup before i went for the test since I had flu. Don''t know if it maybe had an effect on the test. My stomach seems to be getting bigger and I''m having lower back pain and my breast are getting bigger, very sensitive as well (can''t even touch). Please help

If you use the 11 June as your LMP date then you should be about 10 weeks by now. It could be that you fell pregnant after this and have a very early pregnany or that you have a missed miscrriage. The only way to know is to repeat the scan in a week or two and to follow up the HCG levels.

8
Posted by: alicia | 2012/08/31

I had another blood test done and now I''m 6-7 weeks and my hormone levels are almost 10x higher than it was 2 weeks ago when they said I''m round about 2-3 weeks. So, so confused now. I will have to go for another ultrasound.

Reply to alicia

Posted by: Annie | 2012/08/24

I had a miscarriage early in 2009. I still cry for my baby. I fell pregnant later that year and had a healthy pregnancy and little girl was born in 2010.
My mom told me that if I had the first baby I would never have had my little girl. Its not like that. I cant choose between my kids.

I am now 5 months pregnant. It started out as twins and I lost one very early in pregnancy. I am happy for the child I am carrying, but it does not change the fact that I still long for the other twin.

A miscarriage is devastating. BUT - as Nini said - perhaps it was too early to see something on the scan. Keep praying.

Good luck.

Reply to Annie
Posted by: Charly | 2012/08/23

I totally know how you feel! I have figured out it helps so much to speak to people in the same situation rather than others who tell you ''one in four women have a miscarriage'' or ''you can have other healthy pregnancies no worries'' ......well no I don''t want to be 1 in 4 or 5 I and I don''t want other babies I want this one! So few seem to understand that. Another thing I have realized is that doctors really think they know it all, when in fact they know so little! A woman is a world of its own. Our cycles can vary greatly, can be irregular for various reasons or we can even skip a cycle. No doctor can explain with certainty why that is. Food, lifestyle, hormones, emotions.....so many things influence that a black and white diagnosis is often difficult.

Beginning July I go to my gyn who tells me I''m probably infertile due to a 5.5cm chocolate cyst on my right ovary. She said it has to be immediately removed as well as other endometrial tissue in order for me to regain my fertility and have a chance at pregnancy. I''m scheduled for a laparoscopic operation only for it to be cancelled because I missed my period and I am found to be pregnant confirmed by high hcg. You cannot imagine the surprise of the docs and my joy! They said I''m a strange case, but very lucky and congratulated me. At 6 weeks and 2 or 4 days my ultrasound was scheduled. Although hcg was at 2000 which was apparently very good only an empty gestational sac was seen which measured only 5weeks 3 days. The gyn told me its a blighted ovum and I will soon abort it by myself. I''m devastated!

Reply to Charly
Posted by: alicia | 2012/08/23

This would be my 1st pregnancy, so I''m still a bit clueless. And to find out that it might be a miscarriage, is kinda devastating as I really wanted to have a baby.

Thank you so much

Reply to alicia
Posted by: Nini | 2012/08/23

The low HCG levels could be one of 2 things - either the pregnancy is no longer viable and that''s why it is so low. Or you are genuinly only2 - 3 weeks pregnant, but then the question remains as to why you didnt have a period in July.

I hope the blood test next week gives you some answers. Good luck!!!

Reply to Nini
Posted by: alicia | 2012/08/23

I didn''t have a period in July, it was due round about 11/12th, but nothing.... They did schedule me for another blood test for next week. But as I stated in my 1st post, the blood test revealed that I am round about 2-3 weeks because of the low hcg levels.

Reply to alicia
Posted by: Nini | 2012/08/23

I think that when the doctor said that you were 2/3 weeks pregnant then that was the actual gestation age of the foetus. However we normally calculate pregnany from the first day of your last period, so technically that would make you now about 10 weeks pregnant - if in fact you are pregnant and your last period date is correct. When would you next period have been due??

The only other thing I can think of is that you actually conceived later than what you realised. Perhaps in July? Because if your last period was on 11/12 June then surely you would have expected a period somewhere in July? If July''s didnt pitch because you were pregnant then that would put you at about 10 weeks now. But if you did have a period in July then you could have conceived more recently, and that could make sense as to why the ultrasound couldnt detect an image yet.

Maybe you need to consider another blood test in a few days to see if your HCG levels have increased? That will be the only sure way to confirm if you are still pregnant - because your levels will rise as each day passes.

Reply to Nini