Question
Posted by: Tania | 2008/08/12

Possible Hernia

I' ve been told by my GP that I have a possible hernia ( I haven' t been for tests yet but was prescribed Altosec, which I don' t use too often ). I constantly have that full bloaded feeling which on some days can be quite uncomfortable and painful. I even look pregnant on some days because my stomach is so bloated and find the spot under / between my breasts ( my crop ) very sensitive.

Should I consider going for further tests and once rectified ( if so ) will my stomach ' deflate'  to its normal size? I have become very self-concious lately.

Many thanks,

Tania

Hallo Tania
If your doctor suspects a hiatus hernia, you will have to use your Altosec regularly for at least 6 weeks to see if the symptoms improve, if not, you may need to be referred to a gastroenterologist for a gastroscopy to see if repair by operation is necessary. Try also to eat right: avoid gassy cooldrinks, food that ferment quickly like bread, beans, cabbage, broccoli and brusselsprouts. Take probiotics three times a day and ensure that your tummy works at least once in 3 days by taking something like Fybogel orange. Drink enough water (8 glasses a day) and eat more soluble fibre ( in veges and fruit) than unsoluble ( in wholewheat/legumes etc)