Question
Posted by: Sheldon | 2010/01/07

Possible false high reading on a cholesterol test?

I am a relatively healthy 30 year old male with no family history on any scary illness. At the beginning of each year I do the Discovery Vitality tests as part of my effort to keep on diamond status. This year the nurse a Dischem got a reading of 5.23 on my cholesterol test. The highest my reading has been in the past was 4.16. I had the test at 10:30 am and I only had two cups of Rooibos tea, without sugar or milk, before the test. I have not have any alcohol for the 5 days since the New Years day party (during which I did not drink much) and I do not use drugs.

I have however started going to gym recently and I am extremely stiff from all the lactic acid in my body. When the nurse did the test my hands were cold and she thought I may have circulation problems. The nurse also had some trouble expressing enough blood from my finger tip in the beginning of the tests but I had to put on a plastic at the end because the blood would not stop.

Would vigorous exercise (90min, 4 days a week) and cold hands contribute to a high cholesterol test reading 5 days after the festive season?

p.s.- My girlfriend eats the same food at I do (which is also relatively healthy) however her chocolate, sugar and fat intake is higher then mine and her test (which was taken at a different pharmacy) is a full point less then mine? I really am hoping that there is something wrong with the test!

Hallo Sheldon
The best way to test your cholesterol is to do an early morning fasting ( no eating or drinking from 22h00 previous evening) blood test at a lab (where they take a tube of blood) so I'll suggest that you follow up with this test. Some people have hereditary high cholesterol even when eating very healthy. Finger prick tests are not as reliable as the lab testing - it is fine for screening but needs to be double checked if it has an abnormal result.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/01/07

Hallo Sheldon

Reply to cyberdoc