Question
Posted by: tired | 2011/12/21

Possible Eating Disorder

I would contact the dietdoc or the eating disorder expert but both appear to be away.

I think I may have an eating disorder. it seemed to begin when I was very busy one day working at a function and was not able to get away to get some food... I ended up shaky, vomitting and nearly fainting. Since then - whenever I have been busy with functions (of which there have been a lot lately) I start thinking that I hope I am not going to feel ill again - which of course I do. The result is that I feel very shaky, nauseaous (sometimes the very idea of eating makes me want to throw up) and I have to force food down. I end up having panic attacks (I think) when I start worrying if I am going to be okay. I feel almost constantly hungry so I am constantly snacking. I hardly ever eat junk food and am also trying to cut down my sugar intake.
I dont know what to define this eating disorder as - I am convinced it is psychological but don''t know how to get my mindset correct so that I can stop this irrational behaviour. Please advise as urgently as possible as I am so tired of feeling this way.

Even the most devoted of Experts are allowed to go away for a break now and then ! I think all the forums will be closing from the 23rd to 4th January.
I'm not sure you are describing an eating disorder of the typical sort. Normal people tend to develop a low blood sugar level if they unexpectedly eat too little ( or nothing at all ) for a more extended period than usual, and would develop the symptoms you describe - which would go away when they again ate, or drank something with sugar in it. Perhaps in the early stages of diabetes one might be a bit more at risk of such a situation arising.
What you then describe is a sort of phobic anxiety that has become attached to these possible symptoms. Symptoms you could avoid by making sure you eat normally while working on suich projects ; maybe drinking some sugared tea, or orange juice often enough while preparing the functions. It really isn't necessary to gfast at all, or to wait until the unpleasant symptoms are there before thinking of eating.
Cutting DOWN your sugar intake, as such, is not a good idea, as the symptoms are probably caused by an abnormally LOW level of blood sugar.
DO see your GP and arrange for tests like a simple and quick urine test, and maybe a GTT to rule out diabetes. And yes, it would be worthwhile to see a psychologist to work through the inapp[ropriate degree of anxiety you have been developing, and to learn how to relax and avoid it.

1