Posted by: Leigh | 2008-11-10

Possible delayed PTSD?

My husband was involved in a horrific car crash where his first wife was instantly killed. He was the driver. They were in the middle of nowhere with 2 other guys who were severely injured. They were helpless with no help for hours. This was approx 6 years ago and my husband never got any stress related treatment, but his depression has been getting worse in the last 2 or so years. He also has a terrible temper and generally does not connect with me on any level anymore. Could this possibly be related to his past trauma?

That certainly sounds like the sort of trauma that would be highly likely to produce PTSD ; and yes, indeed, the onset of OTSD may well be delayed, and may even appear after some subsequent, more minor trauma. And PTSD is just one common consequence of exposure to psychological trauma --- depression can be another, and severe aggression / temper problems can be part of it, too. He needs to see a good local psychiatrist for a thorough assessment, and a discussion of treatment options, which may include CBT-style therapy and certain antidepressants, which help depression and also PTSD