Question
Posted by: Sharon | 2010/12/08

Possible Cyst 9 year old

My daughter is 9 years old and has what is suspected by the doctor a cyst just under her jaw. I have been referred to a maxillo-facial for further assessment.
My concern is to be as informed as possible beforehand as to whether to have it drained or cut out. Both being quite traumatic for her. Is there other suggestions on what to do or what is the best solution for removal.
Sharon

Hallo Sharon
It depends on what it is - highly likely to be a residual cyst from tissues while developing as a fetus or a cyst (thyroglossal cyst) or a cyst of the salivary gland. These are removed if they get inflammation, infection or become obvious and ugly. Removal will be under general anaesthetic, and it is not a huge procedure - she will just have a small cut on the skin with stitches. I doubt if they will only drain it as it will just fill up again.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/12/08

Hallo Sharon
dr Bets