Question
Posted by: anna | 2010/08/26

Possible cause

Hello.
Can tinnitus be caused by overuse of anti-inflammatories and painkillers? My uncle suffers from osteo-arthritis and has self-medicated for years - he now is experiencing (among other issues) a constant ringing sound in one ear. We have managed to get him to go for a hip replacement and I wondered if the ear problem would lessen.

Expert ImageArchive

Yes. salicylates including aspirin and other Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen, and naproxyn can definitely cause or increase the perception of tinnitus. Fortunately, when tinnitus is related to NSAID ingestion, it is reversible. Acetaminophen seems to be a reasonable alternative for most people. Other pain medicines have also been linked to tinnitus, including oxycodone and percoset. There also can be drug interactions when taking multiple medicines. It is best to check with your pharmacist who can look up whether your medication might cause or increase your tinnitus.

Regarding your other question about osteo-arthritis, many non-ear disorders seem to be associated with tinnitus. For example, tinnitus can follow neck or temperomandibular joint (jaw) problems. I have not heard of any connections between hip pain and tinnitus so I doubt the hip replacement will improve the tinnitus, though if it alters your uncle's drug intake, there could be some change.

1
Posted by: Tinnitus Expert | 2010/08/30

Reply to Tinnitus Expert