Posted by: Kate Stewart | 2009-09-01

Possible BVP

I have recently been traveling and taken a plane and have found that my ear, although not impairing my hearing, have been constantly blocked throughout. (I often have to equalize them etc)

I have been experiencing dizziness or " swirling"  motions when I lie in bed or wake up as well as a feeling of slight pressure in my head either at the base of my neck or my temples and slight " fuzzy'  feeling all day. My aunt is an Audiologist and she suggested that I may have Benign Positional Vertigo, if this is case is it necessary for me to see an ENT specialist?
If so, could you recommend one in Cape Town?

Thank you.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Kate

A blocked ear during flying could be because of eustachian tube dysfuntion, and this can be diagnosed by an ENT with a full ENT examination. If you had a cold during flying, the chance of having constantly blocked ears during flying is very common. If this was the cause, the problem should resolve itself in future.

Regarding the possible BPPV, this is a condition that is caused by abnormal movement of the otoconia in the semi-sircular canals. (of the inner ear. )Your suggestion to see an ENT is a good one, as other causes of peripheral vertigo should be excluded.

To find an ENT in the Cape Town I suggest you go to the ENT website at, they have a list of ENT in South Africa.