Posted by: John | 2009-09-08

Possible Ankle Break?

This past Saturday I played a soccer game, and I got tackled really hard by an opposing player. The heal of his boot went into the side of my right ankle, just near the fibular I think it is, the protruding bone?

It felt like just a knock so I got up to walk it off. However at the end of the game it was quite sore, and that night when I was lying in bed, it was excruciatingly sore. The right side of my right foot did swell up quite a bit, and now and then my foot felt numb.
The day after it felt much better and not nearly so sore. Today as well, the swelling has gone down a lot, but if i do press around I can feel its a bit sore still. There is also a slight tingling feeling up my leg, sort of calf and shin area.
That made me wonder maybe it' s a slight fracture?

I know that nothing can be said for certain without x-rays, but just wanted to know what to look out for between the two, and maybe I should get it looked at?

Hallo John
If it is fractured, it would normally swell, it will look "funny" or out of line , you will feel a grinding feeling when you press on it as the two ends grate against each other, it will be difficult to walk on the foot. You probably have a bruise of the ligaments in the area and the swelling may cause pressure on the nerve causing the tingling feeling in the leg. If the area is very blue, it had bleeding inside. Treat with ice and strapping and you can take an anti-inflammatory like Neurofen if you are not allergic to it or have peptic ulcers or other contra indications to using this. You can also rub with Voltaren gel or something similar.