Question
Posted by: AJ P. | 2010-03-12

Possibility to lose weights?

I am 16, 5.5"  and 138 pounds. I was 120 pounds 7 months ago. I gained my weight after I got to New York. I came from Indonesia before, I have been dieting for over 2 years back then, I was 154 pounds before and then I succeeded to get 120 after a long struggle. But, it seemed like I couldn''t control my eating habit once I got in New York. I realized that I eat many processed food. I ate like nothing when I was home back then, once a day and I could do this. I wish I could do that again, but it''s hard for me now. I will come home in 2 months, on June, 2010. And I really wish I could be slimmer or at least be 118-120 pounds. It is depressing me a lot, my clothes are getting too small for me and it makes me terribly sad. So, start from this March, I have been dieting again. I eat yogurt for breakfast, nothing for lunch, and fruits for dinner. I do 1000 times skipping every day, 20 push ups+back ups+sit ups, and the other workout stuffs. I also do Pilate''s twice a week. Well, sometimes I eat fish meats, like tuna if I feel like I need some energy.

The question is:
Is it possible for me to lose 20 pounds in about 2 or 3 months with my diet and these kind of workouts?
Do you have any suggestion?
I really appreciate for your responses. I really need help.
Thank you so much.

Dear AJP
It often happens that when a person moves to a different country with different eating habits and foods, plus the new stresses he or she is exposed to, that they gain weight. However even now when you weigh 138 pounds your BMI = 23,2 which is nicely within the normal range (18-25). I don't think you should try to lose so much weight because if you only weigh 118 pounds your BMI would equal 19,7 which is too low for good health. The regimen you describe is also unbalanced and tending towards anorexia. You cannot only eat yoghurt and fruit for the next 3 months and remain healthy despite the fact that these are healthy foods. If on top of this minimalistic diet you also do so much exercise without a decent source of energy you will damage your health. I would recommend that you consult a dietitian. Google the American Dietetic Association and find a dietitian in New York who can give you advice on how to prevent eating disorders before you make yourself ill.
Please take great care

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-03-12

Dear AJP
Please take great care