Posted by: Gompie | 2009-08-06

Possibility of infection?

My girlfried is a heathcare worker who accidentally pricked herself with a needle while drawing blood from a HIV positive patient. She has gone on an extremely heavy course af ARV' s and her initial blod test shows that she is HIV negative. Does this mean that she will be negative after the ARV course is complete? Seeing that we are sexually active, normally using condoms for vaginal penetration and no ' protection'  for oral sex, what is the chance of me getting infected with HIV? Is french kissing and open mouth kissing risky?

Dear Gompie
Rather be very careful until after her 3 months test is also negative - avoid unprotected mucous membrane contact like oral sex if possible. French kissing has never been proven to cause HIV although there may be a slight risk , especially if there are cuts or sores in the mouth.