Question
Posted by: Adele | 2011/09/05

Possessive doggie

I''ve adopted a 5 year old x-breed doggie from a shelter in January 2011. She is a puppy mill doggie. She is known there as the sweetest doggie ever and I agree. However, she gets very possessive of me and actually attacks other dogs and people if they come to close to me. She grabs the people by their pants or shoes and snaps at other dogs. We have another adopted doggie and the two of them is fine together but when my parents or sister''s dogs come to visit she snaps and growls. She is not a big doggie so (±  13 Kg and as high as a long legged foxy) so I doubt if she’ ll do any real damage but I still need to know how I can help her. These episodes usually occur when I’ m around but this weekend I was not home and she grabbed one of my husbands’  friends. She also growls at my fiancé  as well but when he bends down and touches her she’ s fine. She also gets very upset when my husband plays soccer with our other doggie.
She did complete a behavior course of 8 weeks but it seems to get worse.

What can be wrong and how do I help her?

Thanks!

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Adele, nice to hear from you and dont worry this can be easily helped and is relatively common in some rescue dogs. they find 'their' person and the behaviour just goes awray!

Unfortunately this is not a situation to be dealt with on a forum, you really do need professional help, as there is the possibility that the reactive behaviour will increase and end up in a bite, which is the last thing you need!

A qualified behaviourist will show you exactly and humanly how to deal with this behaviour and to raise yourself and the rest of the family up in the combined human/canine pack. They will bring in House Rules, Time-outs, how to recognize the warning signs of this etc. It will also need to be done in-house so that the behaviourist can observe the dog further.

Please let me know where you stay and I will put you in touch with somebody. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/09/06

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert