Posted by: worried | 2009-04-03

Posneg couple

we' ve been married for two years, my husband is hiv+ and I am neg. We would like to start a family and need to know what our options are and some of the costs involved. One thing we are both certain of is that we don' t wanna use donor sperm/eggs.

Can you please advise.

Dear Worried

There is always a risk of transmission of the virus of your husband to either you or the potential pregnancy. Your best option would be a procedure called ICSI, were only one sperm is utilized to fertilize the one egg. This will give you less than 0.1% chance of transmission of the virus to you and the potential pregnancy. In addition procedure such as ICSI should be performed when your husbands viral load is less than 50 and has got a significantly high CD4 count.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Posted by: worried | 2009-04-14

Thank you so much for your response to my question. How long does such a procedure take and what is the success rate of the procedure?

Is it very costly?

Reply to worried