Question
Posted by: Robyn | 2010/11/17

Positive/Negative ANA

Yes, I did see a Rheumatologist and he diagnosed me with Lupus. And now the 2nd Rheumatologist has said that I do not have Lupus. Can it go away? I was under the impression that it was not curable. I was treated with Methotrexate before I was diagnosed. Could it have been drug induced Lupus? Is Methotrexate 1 of the drugs that can induce Lupus

Subject: Positive/Negative ANA
Posted by: Robyn | 10/11/2010

I was diagnosed with Lupus 5 years ago. This was based on a positive ANA, as well as other symptoms, including a butterfly rash on my face, inflamed joints, skin rash etc etc. After being treated with Methotrexate, Prednisone, Nivaquine and anti-inflammatories from June 2005 to August 2010, I did not see much of a change in my health. I decided to seek a 2nd opinion, and have just been informed that my ANA is negative. Can the ANA change at all? I was under the impression that if it was positive, that was it, there cannot be a change.

EXPERT''S REPLY
Subject:
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 10/11/2010
Hallo Robyn
ANA can change. It is not diagnostic of Lupus but is an indication that there is an auto immune process ongoing in the body. Did you see a rheumatologist for your Lupus?

Hallo Robyn
Lupus is not an easy disease to diagnose - it can be one of those "grey" diagnoses - one has to look at 11 criteria (http://www.medicinenet.com/systemic_lupus/page3.htm) in combination with blood tests, clinical symptoms etc but not one test will tell you that the patient DEFINITELY has Lupus. It is not impossible that you were diagnosed wrongly the first time. Methotrexate does not cause drug induced Lupus. A rheumatologist is the best specialist to see for this and getting a second opinion if you do not see any improvement on treatment is a good decision.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/11/17

Hallo Robyn
dr Bets