Question
Posted by: Robyn | 2010-11-10

Positive/Negative ANA

I was diagnosed with Lupus 5 years ago. This was based on a positive ANA, as well as other symptoms, including a butterfly rash on my face, inflamed joints, skin rash etc etc. After being treated with Methotrexate, Prednisone, Nivaquine and anti-inflammatories from June 2005 to August 2010, I did not see much of a change in my health. I decided to seek a 2nd opinion, and have just been informed that my ANA is negative. Can the ANA change at all? I was under the impression that if it was positive, that was it, there cannot be a change.

Hallo Robyn
ANA can change. It is not diagnostic of Lupus but is an indication that there is an auto immune process ongoing in the body. See http://arthritis.about.com/od/diagnostic/a/ana.htm
Did you see a rheumatologist for your Lupus?

2
Posted by: Robyn | 2010-11-16

Yes, I did see a Rheumatologist and he diagnosed me with Lupus. And now the 2nd Rheumatologist has said that I do not have Lupus. Can it go away? I was under the impression that it was not curable. I was treated with Methotrexate before I was diagnosed. Could it have been drug induced Lupus? Is Methotrexate 1 of the drugs that can induce Lupus?

Reply to Robyn
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-11-10

Hallo Robyn