Posted by: Sharon | 2012-08-01

Positive D-Dimer

I went to my doctor with a pain in my calf (like a cramp that comes and goes). My leg isnt swollen or red. Just this sharp pain every now and again. She ordered a D-Dimer test which came back positive. I then went for a Doppler scan and they did not find a clot. But now I am stressing about this positive D-Dimer result. Can there be something else wrong? Should I insist on other tests?

A D-dimer can also be posititive in patients who had recent surgery, trauma with bruising, a recent infection and in certain cancers and liver disease. It can also be positive in pregnant females.

Reconsult your doctor for further tests to rule out other possible causes.