Question
Posted by: Rita | 2010/07/09

Portion plan &  low GI

Dear Diet doc
I have studied the low GI book " eat smart and stay slim"  and have learnt quite a bit, but am battling to piece together an eating plan. Would it be possible to follow your portion plan and then eat low GI as much as possible? I would like to walk or jog with my children - how much exercise to start with? What vitamins or minerals or supplements should I, as a 36 year old, 20kg overweight mother of two be taking? I am also quite stressed and generally quite anxious - will exercise and diet help or do I need to take anything extra for that?

Dear Rita
Because applying the low-fat, low-GI diet is quite tricky as you have discovered, I always advise Readers to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to help them through the initial stages. The dietitian will work out an individual diet plan for you and be able to assist you with day to day problems. If you do decide to do your own thing, then be aware of the fact that for example, substituting low-GI bread which is usually much heavier than standard wholewheat bread, would mean that you need to reduce the number of slices per meal (e.g. 2 slices wholewheat = 1 slice low-GI bread). As you can see, it is not always easy to apply the low-GI diet. It is an excellent idea to start off your exercise programme by going for walks. Start of slowly and walk for a short distance and time. Then as you get fitter and lose weight, walk more briskly longer and further until you are doing at least 30 min of very brisk walking a day. The idea is to get your body used to exercise gradually, not to start off at a level where you knock yourself out! If you use a balanced slimming diet then you don't really need to take all kinds of supplements like extra vitamins, minerals, etc. The exercise will help for the stress - you will notice that you are more relaxed as you get fitter and can spend some time on yourself out in the fresh air.

1

Dear Rita