Question
Posted by: Tracy | 2011/09/20

Portia de Rossi''s Book Triggering

What do you think of Portia de Rossi''s autobiography? I cannot tell you how painful it was to read as someone who''s been in recovery for over 8 months. She took me back to a place that I have not been to since I went to a clinic for my eating disorder. I think I identified too much with her.

When I was reading her book, I found myself thinking like her! This is absurd as I''ve been in recovery for so long and I never thought I would be this vulnerable. I have felt so much anxiety since picking up that book. I have to tell you that I don''t think those who are trying to recover should read that book. Portia is clearly sick. It just reminds me of how sick I was and it''s a place I never want to go back to.

My experience in recovery is to be around positive influences and to move away from anything that even resembles the eating disorder. That meant goodbye to the scale, chewing gum, diet cool drinks, caffeine and any other triggers. This illness is sadly powerful when we allow it to take up any space in our minds.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Tracy,
I have not read the book, so cannot comment on its content. However, you demonstrate the advice I give most, if not all of my patients, to not read biographical books of individuals that have recovered from an eating disorder (or claim to have recovered from an eating disorder). All too often, these books recall the euphoria or tragedy of the readers past or ongoing eating disorder, but does little, if anything, in really encourage recovery. In fact, there are a few select books on eating disorders that I recommend my patients to read. Although there are some similar experiences that many eating disorder sufferers have, adding of any individual's particula experience seldom helps the reader. Of course, there are some exceptions, but your reading the book illustrates why I advise against such reads. Sorry Portia. Tracy, I suggest that you carry on living your far more wholesome and healthy life, devoid of the eating disorder culture. Stay real and ensure that your eating disorder past is properly resolved and transformed. If you are struggling to stay on track emotionally, then maybe a few follow-up sessions with your therapist might do you some good.
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders Expert | 2011/09/29

Hello Tracy,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders Expert