Question
Posted by: Suze | 2012-05-11

Porphyria?

Hi Doctor

My 6 year old daughter has been complaining of a tummy ache for a very long time. We have been to the doctor numerous times and she has been treated for post nasal drip (which could explain the pains), amongst others, - but it always seem to return. My mom has porphyria and I wonder if my daughter could perhaps have it? The only other ''symptom'' is her tendency to have emotional outbursts - I know porphyria could in some cases cause psychological disturbances. Do you think it is possible or am I just being paranoid?
Thanks a lot!

Suze

Porphyria is an inherited disorder and I suggest that you consult a paediatrician for tests. It is a very good call and porphyria will have to be excluded.