Question
Posted by: RKDV | 2010/10/26

Porn..

Hi CS,

Can one be addicted to porn? If so - what are the best ways to stop the addiction. Its ruining my marriage and things need to get better before I walk out the door

RKDV

You'll find many discussions of this issue in the archives of this forum. I don't think it is in the least useful to consider this problem ( or excessive shopping, etc. ) as an ADDICTION.

Some people, in quite a variety of situations, spend more time watching porn than is convenient for their life in terms of relationships, especially.

Sometimes they have a range of problems and stresses and find this almost mindlessly diverting ; sometimes they have definite relationship problems and find the readily available and compliant characters in the porn they view, comforting when compared with the more complex ( though of course ultimately more rewarding ) prospect of seriously relating to another living real-time person.

Sometimes they're depressed ; sometimes it reflects an obsesive personality ( occasionally even OCD ).

As with all forms of behaviour, it is worth considering as a problem if it interferes with one's general happiness and one's ability to properly take part in one's work, social and love life in real life.

Marriage / couples counselling may be a good idea, as where this sort of concern arises, there's usually more wrong with the relationship, mostly stuff that can be usefully sorted out.

Beware of many amateurs who enjoy meddling in such types of behaviours, offering "cures" which further their own favourite causes.

11

Posted by: RKDV | 2010/10/26

Just took the ''test"  on his behalf...

In addition there are certain subscales to further confirm that a problem exists. The following patterns emerged in your answers:
A profile consistent with sex addicts who struggle with sexually compulsive behavior on-line
A profile consistent with men who struggle with sexually compulsive behavior

The SAST measures key characteristics of addiction. The following dimensions of an addictive disorder appeared in your answers:
Preoccupation: obsessive thinking about sexual behavior, opportunities, and fantasies
Loss of control: inability to stop behavior despite commitments to self and others and despite problems ! caused by behavior
Relationship disturbance: sexual behavior has created significant relationship problems
Affect disturbance: significant depression, despair, or anxiety over sexual behavior

Reply to RKDV
Posted by: ManHatingPorn | 2010/10/26

It is sad that a lot of men have no idea how their porn addiction affects their partners!

Reply to ManHatingPorn
Posted by: RKDV | 2010/10/26

Thanks ManHatingPorn!

I have had a look at the site
I really thank you for this - often I post on this site and men jopke about this.
This has been a useful site and I once again thank you!

Reply to RKDV
Posted by: ManHatingPorn | 2010/10/26

RKDV
Check out xxxchurch dot com. They help men get out of porn addiction. Good luck!

Reply to ManHatingPorn
Posted by: ManHatingPorn | 2010/10/26

Hi RKDV. Yes, one can get addicted to porn. Yes, it destroys marriages. If he can't see that, there is not much you can do. Nagging will not help. If he realises there is a problem and want to work on it, there is hope. Maybe you should give him an ultimatum. Hopefully he will realise that he will loose you if he carries on like this.

Reply to ManHatingPorn
Posted by: HUH | 2010/10/26

I watch porn at night and not alway with my wife. Does he watch it all night? Why dont you watch with him? Also what type of porn is he watching?

Reply to HUH
Posted by: RKDV | 2010/10/26

He watches it late at night while i am asleep he lies about watching it, its also the type of porn he is watching.

Reply to RKDV
Posted by: HUH | 2010/10/26

How is it ruining your marriage?

Reply to HUH
Posted by: RKDV | 2010/10/26

Its not wrong.. I watch it too and enjoy it, My question is - can one be addicted to it.

Before you go into a torrent, read the Q''s properly!

Reply to RKDV
Posted by: HUH | 2010/10/26

Whats wrong with watching abit of Porn?

Reply to HUH