Question
Posted by: melanie | 2011/03/16

Popcorn-sugar?

Ok so I watched this clip on the internet where it says what foods are good for you and which foods arent, they said SUGAR is your enemy, so I eat popcorn everyday as its light and has very little fat , but mostly because of the salt because I have low blood pressure, how much, if any, sugar does popcorn have?

Dear Melanie
Moderate sugar intake is not harmful, although it is often a popular ploy to scare people with stories like the one you say you saw on the Internet. Excessive intake of any food, including sugar, is not a good idea and is not part of a balanced diet. Plain popcorn does not contain any sugar. However, any food, if eaten in excess can increase your energy intake to the point where it can cause weight gain. Plain unbuttered popcorn contains 1908 kJ/100g ((454 cal or 30% of the daily energy intake for an adult woman who is trying to lose weight), or 572 kJ/30 g portion (136 kcal/30g), which represents about 9% of the daily energy for an adult woman on a slimming regimen. Eat popcorn in moderation as a low-fat snack, but don't overdo things as any food when eaten in excess can cause weight gain. Also don't overdo your salt intake even if you have low bp.
Everything in moderation!

1

Dear Melanie
Everything in moderation!