Question

Popcorn at the movies - some answers

Hi, I posted the same question on 20 May 2009 and I thought I' d share the following information - I called 011 445 770 and spoke to the " catering"  department at Ster Kinekor:

Their popcorn is made with Palm Oil.

A " Kiddie"  size popcorn comes in a box (1300ml) containing about 5 x 250ml cups of popcorn (1300ml / 250ml = 5.2 cups).

A " Small"  box of popcorn comes in a box containing about 10 x 250ml cups of popcorn (2400ml / 250ml = 9.6 cups).

My question now is: What is the difference between Sunflower oil and Palm oil, is Palm oil better in any way?

Hope this helps every one else (especially the Weight Watchers!)

Thank you!

Dear Reader
You are a ***star*** for contacting Ster Kinekor for this info and sharing it with the other Readers. I like it when my Readers get proactive. I am appalled at how much popcorn goes into these boxes (not having purchased any for the past 30 years or so). Based on an estimated weight of 20g per 250 ml cup, the Kiddie size with it 5.2 cups would weigh about 104 g and thus contain slightly more than 2000 kJ and 3.4 g of saturated fat. The so-called 'Small' box with its 9,6 cups would weight about 192-200g and contribute 3816 kJ (a whopping 60,6% of your daily energy intake if you are slimming!) and 6.6g of saturated fat. I shudder to think what the "Big' box contains. I think it's safer to buy chewing gum sweetened with non-nutritive sweeteners when you go to see a movie and to drink bottled water!
There are unfortunately two different types of palm oil. Standard palm oil can be high in saturated fats and harmful, while so-called 'red palm oil' is highly beneficial because it is rich in monounsaturated fats and very rich in vitamin E. I don't think that the popcorn is made with red palm oil as this would affect the colour, so the chances are that the plam oil used for the popcorn will contain saturated fats.

4

hi guys I was wondering if there if there was any gluten in the popcorn flavouring ?

Well I also asked the Ster Kinekor in my area, Cape Town, and they used regular caonola oil about a cup for every batch. The lady showed my how much they add. Still I think it's definitely not air popped since the flavour doesn't stick to air popped popcorn. I do that at home and the flavour doesn't stick to it at all.

Wow - you have your weights and calculations so wrong here. Air popped popcorn like Ster Kinekor makes is approx 35 calories a cup before you add any flavor. This makes the small popcorn just more than 330 calories rather than the close on 800 calories your experts suggests!

011 445 7700