Question
Posted by: Jenn | 2012/09/18

Popcorn and other snacks

Hi doc.

This past year I''ve been living a very unhealthy life. Not eating so much unheatly foods, but way too much food at a time.
I had a lot of work stress at some time this year which caused me to snack on chips, sweets and sodas all the time. It made me feel better for that moment. Things at work are great now but I continued with my bad eating. I''ve gained so much weight and decided that I need to do something about it.
It is easy for me to prepare and eat healthy meals but I can''t stop with the snacking. I don''t drink any sodas anymore only juice. I still struggle with water intake and I can''t stop drinking tea without sugar.

Can I snack on popcorn once a day? And how many fresh fruit snacks can I have a day? And things like yogurt? I also love drinking milk, but can''t get myself to drink 2 percent milk. I hate it.

Please any advice?
I started a good excercise plan which is going great. But I''m just concerned about my snacking habbit.

Dear Jenn
I am glad for your sake that your situation at work has improved so that you can stop stressing and get back to eating normally. It is good that you have stopped drinking cold drinks, but please keep in mind that fruit juice although it is healthy contains just as much if not more energy (kJ) than sweetened cold drinks. Basically sweet beverages (sweetened cold drinks and fruit juice) are implicated in weight gain to a greater extent than solid sugar! So please stop drinking both the fruit juice and the sweetened cold drinks. In general the recommendation is that we should have 5-a-Day, thus 2 fruit and 3 vegetable servings a day. You can certainly use low-fat or fat-free yoghurt as a healthy snack and try drinking that low-fat milk with a drop of vanilla and a sachets of artificial sweetener to improve the taste. Research has indicated that slimming diets that include low-fat or fat-free milk assist with weightloss more efficiently that slimming diets without these calcium-rich foods. Plain unbuttered popcorn contains 1908 kJ/100g ((454 cal or 30% of the daily energy intake for an adult woman who is trying to lose weight), or 572 kJ/30 g portion (136 kcal/30g), which represents about 9% of the daily energy for an adult woman on a slimming regimen. Eat popcorn in moderation as a low-fat snack, but don't overdo things as any food when eaten in excess can cause weight gain. Keep up the good work with the exercise.

1

Dear Jenn