Posted by: ERNA | 2009-07-14

Hi, it is me again - I found out about Ster Kinekor' s popcorn a while ago.

You must be so tired of the popcorn questions by now and no matter how you look at it, it is still better to not overindulge in it anyway! Such a pity!

Reason for my question this time is more financial actually...

The " Light Butter"  microwave popcorn is quite expensive and buying the popcorn and making it yourself it is obviously much cheaper. If I had to make it myself, what would be the " healthiest"  option?

I have never tried this, but will the popcorn pop if you use spray and cook only? If it does, surely this will be even less fattening than the normal microwave popcorn?

And would there be a big difference between the fat and kilojoules in olive oil and sunflower oil? You use such a little bit at a time...

Or is the best option to buy a air popper that uses no oils etc?

Dear Erna
Hi there! I think we should go to a movie together and eat a whole big container of popcorn with all the trimmings! The healthiest option would be to make popcorn in a paper bag in the microwave, even if it costs a bit more. Just think how much more oil the popcorn will absorb if you pop it in a pot with oil instead of in a paper bag. I do not think that you can make popcorn with spray and cook only as the corn may burn before it pops, but you are a person with get up and go, so try it out, but keep careful watch that this process does not cause a fire. All oils have the same kilojoule content of 37 kJ per gram. Sunflower oil is rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids which are healthy and olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids which are also very healthy. I just think that olive oil may impart a taste to the popcorn, but once again, try it out and see if you like the taste.
If you have to funds, then do buy an air popper because this will indeed give you the lowest fat and kJ content.
Enjoy that popcorn!