Posted by: Pops | 2009-06-30

I would like to know whether pocorn is a healthy diet snack? I eat about half a cup everyday. I do make it on the stove using sunflower oil though. How many kilojoules does this equal?

I really enjoy pocorn, but I' m not sure if it is beneficial to weight loss.

Dear Pops
Weigh a typical half cup of your popcorn and work out how much energy it contains. Plain unbuttered popcorn contains 1908 kJ/100g ((454 cal or 30% of the daily energy intake for an adult woman who is trying to lose weight), or 572 kJ/30 g portion (136 kcal/30g), which represents about 9% of the daily energy for an adult woman on a slimming regimen. Eat popcorn in moderation as a low-fat snack, but don't overdo things as any food when eaten in excess can cause weight gain. Other snacks you can use, include carrot and celery sticks, baby tomatoes, and other low energy vegetables. Low-fat or fat-free yoghurt and cottage cheese with Provitas or rye crackers also make tasty low-energy snacks.