Question
Posted by: Meg | 2011-05-24

poor sperm quality

When trying to conceive we were surprised to discover that my 30 year old husband''s sperm quality was very bad, even after he had lost 20kg (he now weighs 85kg - and is the thinnest he has been since high school), started exercising regularly, and eating healthily and taking daily multivitimins ((omega 3-6-9 EFA 1300 x2, holford optimum nutrition formula x2, vit C 1000mg, zinc 30mg). My husband is a non smoker, and works in an office.

density/ml: 8m
motility: 40%
progression: 1-2 /4
abnormality: 80%

He did another seamen analysis test which was similar to the above.

He also did a very expensive Sperm DNA Fragmentation test which as also apparently bad - 42.25%

My husband went to a urologist, endocrinologist and fertility clinic for extensive check ups examination and blood tests. After reading, and talking to doctors we implemented the following measures for 3 months:
- no alcohol at all
- no saunas \ baths
- healthy diet
- extensive multivitims
(folic acid 800mg, vit E 800iu, selinium 200mg, zinc 30mg, vit B12 1000mg, L-argine 1000mg, L-carnitine 1500mg)

After 80 days the result was significantly worse than before:
density/ml: 6m
motility: 30%
progression: 2-3 /4
abnormality: 95%

And on the day of ICSI the results were even worse:
density/ml: 3m
motility: 25%
abnormality: greater than 95%

Of the 3 eggs fertilized only 1 was suitable for transfer (1 did not develop, and 1 was abnormal).

I would like to know what we can do to improve his sperm quality. Clearly we are doing something wrong? I want to make sure that when we try ICSI again at the end of the year his sperm is in a stronger position.

Dear Meg

I would recommend that when doing the sperm analysis, antibody assessment is done as these antibodies may be extremely high and contributing to the rapid change in sperm quality. Also should you be considering another ICSI, I would recommend that you speak to the embryologist about PICSI which may help with better sperm selection and therefore contribute to better embryo quality. The fact that you produced 3 eggs would be of some concern and I would a change in protocol so that you may produce more eggs and therefore give you more of a chance to produce better embryos as well.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011-05-26

Dear Meg

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert