Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2009/10/16

Poor sleep - how can I still lose weight?

Dear DD

It has recently been published that disrupted sleep one not to lose weight even when on a lower calorie diet. I have 2 young restless sons, and can' t see my sleep improving in the next few years. I must lose weight! my bmi is 27.5 and I am not feeling fit an healthy. To compound matters, I am on SSRI' s. How on earth am I going to lose weight? any clever suggestions?

Dear Racoon
Getting 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep does indeed help you to control weight. If your 2 young sons are younger than 2 years, then you will probably have to attend to them during the night. If they are older they should be sleeping through the night. You can try telling them that Mom needs to sleep and not be interrupted and that you need their help to achieve this. If this does not work, then it may help to make sure that the boys have done plenty of physical activity so that they are tired when they go to bed and sleep for longer period. Doing some exercise yourself will promote weightloss and help you to sleep more soundly. Combine the daily exercise (e.g. skipping, going for walks or any other activity that you can easily do for 30 min a day)with an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy).

1

Dear Racoon