Question
Posted by: Negative | 2011/09/14

Poor Self Image is ruining my life

I''m in my late twenties with 2 kids and what people tell me is a great body. I fit into a size 6 or 8 and weigh 55kgs. My clothes, the scale and the people around me all tells me that I''m in pretty good shape but when I look in the mirror I see something totally different. I''m not sure why this is. I struggle to accept a compliment as true when one is paid to me. Whether its about something I''ve made or something I have done. I am pretty hard on myself in terms of standards. I''m starting to realise how this is ruining my life as far as I''m becoming obsessive about sport and although I will never lean towards anorexia or bulimea, I feel regret everytime I eat something that isn''t calorie free - so I feel bad most of the time. I will need to start work again soon and I''m scared to go back into the working world because I lack the confidence that I will be good enough. I have been off work for 4 years now. What am I supposed to do. I''m scared I drive my husband away with all my negativity.

Sounds like its more than simple issues of self-esteem, but a disturbed body image, such as is seen in Eating Disorders, where good research has proved what you say, that people while they have such a disorder, see and experience themselves as far larger and more unatrtractive than they actually, objectively, are. The feelings you describe, and the attitude towards food, such as "I feel regret everytime I eat something that isn''t calorie free - so I feel bad most of the time" are typical of eating disorders. This behaviour is unhealthy and the opposite of what one needs for a fit body. And clearly there are also issues of self-esteem, too.
It would be very wise for you to arrange to see a good local psychologist soon, for a proper assessment, and a discussion of treatment options, which should definitely include psychotherapy, probably of the CBT ( Cognitive-Behavior Therapy ) form, and possibly also some medication to assist.
You can get this right, to become happy in a normal rather than a starved body, confident, and better able to enjoy life

1