Posted by: Sanet | 2013-02-20

Poor Memory and problems with concentration

I was diagnosed with ADHD in 2008 and have been on Concerta since then. My memory improved and I could concentrate for longer periods. Although I still felt I wasn''t as sharp as I was during my time at University. I am now 40. Since I started having symptoms of Bipolar it is as if my memory is affected. I was still fine in 1999 and actually studied and did very well. I have been ok the past 4 years, but I think my memory problems got worse after my mixed episode that I had from Jan - Jun last year. As an example - I could always remember exactly which appointments I had the past month without checking my calender. And I could keep track of my reports without having to make notes. Since my return to work I find I am omitting follow up letters and when I review the files I realise I never wrote the letters. Yesterday the Plumbers called me to find out why I''m not home, because they had an appointment with me for 9am. I cannot recall making the appointment. I would also miss offramps or take the wrong ones when I''m not concentrating. I am on Seroquel 50mg for sleep that was started in June last year. It makes me feel dull and lethargic. I got my Psychiatrist to change it to Rivotril for sleep. He said that I must have neuropsychiatric testing again (had in 2008) because we now have a baseline to work from. But he also says I must see how I''m doing off the Seroquel. Last night I forgot to switch off the stove and the weekend I left the fan on and I was away for 2 days. I''m worried about my memory and concentration. It was even better during my mixed episode. I think I wrote about this problem last year as well, but it is getting worse. Any advice?

I doubt whether any of us is as bright as when we were at university maybe 20 years ago. One of the elements within any story such as yours, is the inevitable effect of aging ; and where memory is concerned, the issue of how busy and distracted one has been - you can't remember things you didn't really register in memory earlier on You cant look up in your diary things you didn't write down earlier on.
Concentration, as you say, is a critical element, too.
I agree with your shrink about the value of repeat neuropsychiatric tests now, especially as there is a basline against which to interpret the results.
Rivotril like its family of drugs can have significant impact on concentration and memory, and may do so for some time after each dose.